1 LiveBloggin' the ICW: Bit o' this, bit o' that and some FREE stuff...

Monday, March 31, 2014

Bit o' this, bit o' that and some FREE stuff...

Boy, that 'FREE stuff' always brings 'em in the door...no crowding now, there's lots for everyone...
First, a bit o' this....I just finished reading Herb McCormick's book about Lin and Larry Pardey, which Lin gave to me at the Toronto Boat Show.
It's extremely odd to read a book about people you know, written by someone you know, that talks about other people you know, including some you have even worked with. For this reason alone, 'As Long As It's Fun' would have been an exceptional read for me. As it was, a truly engaging and entertaining story about two amazing people.
But it's even better than that. It's the true story, warts and all, of Lin and Larry's adventures together, and including their youth prior to their meeting. I can tell you, having met and spent time with them, that they are incredibly down to earth, unassuming people - and Herb portrays them in just this way. There was no glossing over, no ignoring of unfortunate little bits - this is Lin and Larry, raw and real.
Especially gripping was their story of their rounding of Cape Horn - which I read again just this morning, it was so compelling. Then there's the story of Lin table dancing where....well, pick up a copy if you want to read that story!
As Long as It's Fun is an excellent read, I strongly suggest you pick it up if you'd like to know the story behind the 'First Couple' of sailing.
Herb, congratulations on a superb read! I hope to see more of your work in the future.



And now, for the free stuff! I was just notified that two phenomenal books have just been released as e-books, for FREE! For you, from LiveBloggin', I have pdf versions of Surviving the Storm, Coastal and Offshore Tactics, and also Mariner's Weather Handbook.
Both of these books are by Steve and Linda Dashew, world renowned experts on sailing. The last time I checked the price of Surviving the Storm, it was over $70. Being a cheap sailor, I decided that it wasn't quite time to add it to the 200 plus other books I have on sailing, the boat was simply too overcrowded...but I've always missed having them in my library. Now I have them. And you can as well...
But wait - here comes the small print, we gotta have the small print...
See over to the right hand side of the page? Right there, the part about the Scurvy Crew like in this picture. Well, to get these free e-books, you gotta sign up using either the google signup or the email updates, and then let me know you have, in a message using the contact form in the lower right hand corner. Once you've signed up, I'll email you your free pdf files of both books.
Hey, it isn't so bad. You're reading this blog anyway, you might as well sign up and make sure you never miss an exciting edition of LiveBlogging the ICW! Also, and I assure you of this, your email will never be sold, or misused in any way. Well, not unless it's a really GOOD offer anyhow, something along the lines of free lifetime rum, or some other such sailorly thing.
Seriously, all kidding aside, your email is safe with me. I hope you enjoy these two books, they're classics and deserve to be in every serious sailor's library.