1 LiveBloggin' the ICW: Heading for the BVIs...

Monday, June 3, 2013

Heading for the BVIs...


Most of you are aware I'm heading out on a delivery, from Tortola to Georgia, later this week. Don't be too panicked when you don't see or hear from me after the 6th, for about two weeks. I'll try to get online as I can - best place to follow me will be right here, and I'll try to update on Facebook as well.
The chartlet above shows the first couple of stops as we head west from Tortola. After we leave this area, there's the Mona Passage (always a FUN ride, lol), then Samana and the joys of a Latin American country, complete with corrupt officials seeking a 'mordita' - little bite, or a bribe for you gringoes....
The Turks will likely just be a fast stop and go, then up into the Bahamas and it's beautiful turquoise blue water.
The boat is a Beneteau 362, and we'll have an epirb as well as all the required safety equipment. Weather, so far, looks good....but we're technically into hurricane season, so, folks, cross your fingers for me...total distance is over 1000 miles - San Juan PR to Nassau is 800 give or take, Nassau to Bimini is 115, Bimini to St. Augustine is 265, then another 75 miles to here. From here, the owner and I will buddy boat, with me back on Gypsy Wind up to the Chesapeake.So the itinerary is Road Town, Tortola, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico (Fajardo, then the south coast), Dominican Republic (Samana, Luperon), Turks and Caicos, Bahamas, Georgia....colour me happy!