1 LiveBloggin' the ICW: Gunfire in Paradise!

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Gunfire in Paradise!

Just as I was completing my last post, seven or eight loud bangs rang out in quick succession. I stepped to the lounge outside my room as someone said "are those firecrackers?", and another man said, simply, "No".
We went outside to the edge of the parking lot - the video here is what we are now watching. One of the bodies is behind the beige Jeep with its doors open.
I spoke with a local reporter who told me this was the third shooting today in St. Thomas. Another person said it was likely retaliation within the drug gangs.
More as I learn what has happened here - the Chief of Police refused to speak with me, stating he didn't have time for media. Shortly after that, myself and the other reporter were asked to move off the scene, and about 50 yards away, several officers were searching in some bushes, presumably for bullet shells.