1 LiveBloggin' the ICW: Time to Get Technical

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Time to Get Technical

Fixing outboard in Cuba
If you own a boat, or plan on it (what ARE you thinking?), then at some point you're going to have to fix the thing. This trip, I seem to have had my fair share of things to fix, and am currently sitting at the dock at Golden Isles Marina on St. Simons Island awaiting the repair of my starter motor. This is after having replaced my alternator...after having.....well, you get the idea, I'm sure.
All of this fun costs money, but it doesn't have to cost as much money as many marine businesses would like it to. LiveBloggin' reader James Newsome, whose recently published article on Darien GA was published in Southwinds Magazine, provided me with the name of a company, Genuine Dealz, that provides marine wire and other electrical supplies at a much lower price. Not only that, but they will create custom wiring to your measurements. The cost? An amazing $1 per connector! The labor charge includes cutting, stripping, double crimp & adhesive lined heat shrink applied over the connection if you ordered heat shrink. And the cost, according to James, is close to half that of retail for the wire. That's hard to beat. Then....sit down before I tell you this....they ship it to you free. Yep, anywhere in the US for free, and anywhere else in the world via US Postal Service, which isn't very pricey. James was impressed, and being a Scotsman AND a sailor, and therefore cheap - er, frugal - that's saying something.
James' comments made me realize that there are actually companies in the world whose business plan is other than getting rich on me. Maybe me times 10,000 more sales, but not just on me. So I think we should recognize these companies by building a page listing them here on LiveBloggin', complete with links and other information, so that everyone can save money with them.
For this - I need you. If you know of a company that offers superb service, quality products with great prices and delivery outside of their local area, send it here to me at LiveBloggin' along with your comments and I'll include it in a new page for everyone to see.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go work on the boat...